Gdynia is a city with 250 thousands residents lying on the coast, being included to urbanized area of Tricity together with Gdansk and Sopot. Today it is a modern centre of the sea economy, the international trade, sciences, educations, cultures and tourism. Gdynia is a city of people of the success, an example of the best developing centre in Poland.
Beginnings of Gdynia are tied around with 1253 when for the first time was recalled in documents about the fishing village Gdina. Her development was connected with the Cistercian monks, than with men at Rozecina. In spite of the permanent development as a result of different events in the XVII century, Gdynia still had remained village and counted 20 families. Her main sides of development are fishing and the farming. More the XX century is full of historical events. In 1920 took place there nuptials of Poland with the sea, a railway line came into existence and bathing beach, and a row of the villa and boarding houses were built. A few years later a structure of the Gdynia port were begun to build. Only in 1926 Gdynia officially became the city. Consecutive years were connected with development of economy sea, coming into existence of the harbor station and the Department of the Naval National Meteorological Institute and a Primary Sea School was moved from Tczew. After the war in the city a very intense cultural and economic development followed.
As it befitted to real “sea” city a main attritions of Gdynia are Aquarium and a port. A Gdynia Aquarium is above all a collection of unusual species of fish, amphibians and reptiles from entire world, in it from such distant regions as southern Africa. In the Aquarium an educational section organizing classes for young people is acting. On the pier it is possible to examine the Gallery of Passenger Ships. It is only so avenue in Poland, in which were fitted boards commemorating travelling in the port of Gdynia well-known floated figures. It is also necessary also to go to the Coastal Boulevard, which picturesquely situated between A Stone Mountain and a sea, constitutes the excellent place of walks. A port is of course an unforgettable and legendary gift of the Pomerania, constituting since 1982 property of the Sea Museum and alone constituting the museum. The second ship-museum in the Gdynia port is a ORP Lightning. In the district Gdynia Orlowo, one of the most beautiful nooks of the city a beautiful pier is situated about 180 metres of length. From the pier it is possible to admire the Cliff of the Clump of Redlowska. In Kaszubski Square it is possible to see the sculpture party of sitting on the bench, pointing at a neighboring historic tenement old men.
Apart from a few attractions in Gdynia connected with the sea is also a few others objects, which it is worthwhile visiting. In very centre of Gdynia, a house of the activist of Antoni Abraham is standing. Today additional exhibition rooms of the Museum of the city of Gdynia are located in it with the exhibition which is demonstrating how looked like the living there a hundred years before, how were running a household, how were working, how a free time was being spent and also from what objects they have used every day. In Orlow is also a house of Zeromski with the exhibition devoted to the writer. Next building it’s a harbor station, built in 1933 and regarded as one of the most interesting monuments in Gdynia. Church of St Nicholas Archangel is representing sacred objects which is picturesquely put at sea in the Oksywa district, dating from the XIII century. Peculiarly interesting is a sanctuary, called the Small Pantheon of the navy which creates six boards devoted to ships sunk in fights of the Marine Navy Seals in the west during the II World War – “Thunderbolt”, “Eagle”, “Hawk”, “Kujawiak”, “Orkan”, “Dragon”. It isn’t possible to omit Gdynia Planetarium, the Museum of the City of Gdynia, and enthusiasts of military certainly will be interested by Torpedownia in Babie Doly, built about 300 metres from the edge.
Parks and reservations
In Gdynia is enough green. It’s the city, of which the surface in the considerable part is covered with parks. To the attention deserves Trinity National Park, about the surface of 20 thousand hectares, with beech, oaken forests and broadleaved forests. On the area of the park are two reserves and a dozen natural features of historic importance. While Radlow’s Clump is a landscape reserve situated between Orlow and Stone Mountain. There we can meet Swedish hawk. Next reserves are: Duck’s Wetlands, being in the valley of Duck’s River, Cisowa and Cliffs. Another interesting place is city-garden Stone Mountain which are making by “Stone Mountain”, escarpments of cliffs from the side of the Bay and the district of detached houses – residences dating mainly from the interwar period. In Orlow are also two court-palace teams: by the Folwarczny and by the Victory Avenue.