Cracow is a Polish city with a rich background history. This city is encouraging tourists both with tourist as well as cultural attractions. Planning rest in this charming city one should obligatorily set a few days aside for oneself to touring it, getting to know numerous monuments and objects.
Being on the sightseeing tour in Cracow the Mariacka Tower being situated on a Cracow market has to be absolutely touring.
Mariacka tower every day gathers crowds of tourists who want to hear famous to entire world bugle call. A bugle call sounded is resounding for natives of Cracow and tourists every hour and being played and at noon is being heard in entire world thanks to the radio programme of the Radio Cracow. This object is also being called by natives of Cracow the Tower of the Guard, Budzielnia, Alarmowa or Hejnalica. A helmet and a golden crown being on 81m of height are an important element of this tower. For visitors a curiosity information can be that a bugle call sounded has been played already for 600 years every hour and keeping with tradition to the four directions of the world by the trumpeter, who is the official of the National Guard Fire.
So to hear and to see how beautiful bugle call sounded and to see beautiful is panorama of Cracow it is necessary to defeat 239 steps in order to be beside of the trumpeter. From this beautiful observation place it is possible according to applications to see four Polish lands that is in the South white peaks of the Tatry Mountains, in the west Silesian chimneys, in the east towers of churches and in the north the Baltic Sea.
The barbican is one of the most magnificent and most beautiful monuments of Cracow. Thanks to its medieval walls the Pan let’s go back tourist to the past even for VII centuries what is a real threat to be in such a charming place especially for the youngest enthusiasts of history. On account of their architectural shape and character many of diverse concerts and shows are being taken part, numerous painting exhibitions takes place here in the summer season. Exhibitions are arranged on fortifications of the Barbican. Barbican is situated near the main Cracow Market so it isn’t possible to omit it even during longer walk in Cracow small streets.
The Wawel is a place perfectly integrated into the architecture of Cracow. It is a very unusual place for tourists, so nobody is surprised by endless queues before the entry. This is an object, which is hiding the complex of Monuments of National History and Cultures, here not one tourist will gain a rich knowledge about the history of our country. One of the biggest tourist attractions of the Wawel is a Royal Castle, a museum of royal and historical residences. The castle has very rich inside enrapturing not one visitor, for its tourists has available luxury apartments and royal rooms, the strongroom or the armoury. One of the most attractive attractions of the castle is a Parliamentary Room, which the ceiling is being decorated with 30 Wawel’s heads.
St. Florian’s Gate
Her name derives from the nearby church of St Florian. Was the main out of seven leading gates to the city, Fortifications situated in the line. This gate was also called Porta with Glodiae i.e. the Gate of the Glory. She opened the Royal Road (via Regia). Be her kings entered the city after victorious battles, diplomats, well-known personages visiting Cracow. This way led a route of coronation marches of both funeral monarchs and their families.
Rose from the stone in 1300, and brick storey with machikuly (with porch), leaned on stone console tables, added in the XV century. The care of it was entrusted furriers. She defended the city from the north where Cracow could not use the natural obstacle in the form of bogs and overflow areas. She was also connected with fortified corridor – with so-called neck – with the Barbican finished in 1499. After damage as a result of the Swedish invasion, the gate received new, kept to today, baroque helmet (1657). Above the entrance gate an eagle has always been found. Today it is Piast eagle of the project of Jan Matejko (1882). From the side of the city a rococo low relief of St Florian is decorating the Gate. It is worthwhile also keeping an eye on granting of stone tracks – so-called harrow, left on chains from the window over the entrance visible from the side of the Barbican on both sides of the gate.
Colegium Maius was the oldest building of the Cracow Academy established in the XVI century by Casimir the Great. Later this name was changed to the Jagiellonian University. Building is build in the Gothic style and at present a seat in Jagiellonian Museum of the University. In Collegium Maius among others are devices, the oldest Jagiellonian globe with the outlined outline of America and the works of Matejko and Malczewski. On I floor numerous rooms are situated on a Collegium Maius, to complex also belongs beautiful and original courtyard together with the well put in its centre.
Adam Mickiewicz statue
The matter of construction of the monument of the national bard had long history. Heated disputes concerning the form of the monument as well as places of situating it. After all in the third edition of the competition a project of Teodor Rygier, a sculptor from Warsaw, living permanently in Rome. Under the pressure of the public opinion they also decided that “’Mickiewicz” will stand on the plate if the Main Market. To set of the monument they assembly the centenary of the birthday of the poet – 16 June 1898. The figure of the bard casted in bronze was emphasized on the high plinth, placed on the graded, granite base. On his stairs they bedded allegorical sculptures, showing the Homeland (from the side Sienna Street), Poetry (from the side Grodzki Street), Bravery (from the side of the Sukiennice) and Learning (from the side Florianska Street).
The first building, raised from the stone, was built in this place right after granting the city a foundation charter for a new town in year 1257. Traces of this building behaved only in basements. In the second half of the XIV century urban builder Marcin Lindintolde built in the centre of the Main Market hidden propped with buttresses hall allocated for the trade in the cloth. According to the privilege of the king of Casimir the Great visiting merchants could sell only own goods – and only in this place. Hall was filled up inside with stalls. Outside, parallel to the Sukiennice – from the side of the Szewski Street – stood with row of the bloodbath shoemaker’s and training. Opposite – from the side of the Sienny Streer – 64 rich stalls placed in two rows filled the considerable space where they were literally trading in everything. This Gothic building burnt down in the great fire of the city in 1555.
Collegium Maius – it is the oldest building of the Cracow Academy. History reaches for year 1400 when had it place restoration of the Academy. In Collegium Maius lektoria were situated on the ground floor, and on first floor the Stuba Communis (common chamber), libraries and teacher’s flats. The building is built in the Gothic style and at present is a seat in Jagiellonian Museum of the University. Famous museum sets are in Collegium Maius, and amongst exhibit items are: astronomical devices, the oldest Jagiellonian globe with the outlined outline of America as well as the works of Matejko and Malczewski. To complex belongs also original courtyard with historic well in the centre.
Main Market in Cracow
Main market – the history of this place dates back to the XIII century, was it is once the biggest square of medieval Europe. At the moment is being ranked among three biggest European markets. Every side of the square is 200 m long. The model of this huge square came into existence in 1257, in times of Boleslaw Wstydliwy. Was made for salesmen so that they had place for runnings of their businesses, and to today has been unchanged. The most important buildings of Cracow are situated at a Market, and among them: the St Mary’s Basilica, the Sukiennice, the Church of St Adalbert and town hall tower.
Cracow Kazimierz is one of the oldest districts of this historic city. The name of this charming nook derives from the name of Casimir the Great. Is a place unusual for the rich culturally what is possible to notice during touring Original architecture and the culture of this place are standing out of many different Polish monuments, that’s why Kazimierz is becoming the unusually interesting place for the resting. Here lived the most famous Jewish scholars and artists, so as painters, musicians or poets. Kazimierz is characterized also by historical and not often come across in Poland Jewish taverns with delicious delicacies, done according to old Jewish prescriptions, it is also a place where interesting galleries, Gothic churches and synagogues are situated.