Piotrkowska Street is a main artery of Łodz, the most beautiful city streets and one thing with the longest promenades (4.2 km) existing in Europe, along which the row of eclectic and modernist tenements is stretching out from the XIX and XX century. From very beginning (beginning of the XIX c.) the street constituted the central axis, around which the city grew.
At first created the main communications route and with time changed into the pride of the city. Architecture of Piotrkowska and all buildings being situated in its vicinity are creating the peculiar atmosphere about cultural character. In 1990 the street was subjected to the revitalization and they turned into the promenade which the Gallery of Great Inhabitants of Łodz is situated on (commemorating sculptures made in bronze of known Inhabitants of Łodz) and Avenue of Stars (created to the Hollywood pattern). On Piotrkowska Street many beautiful, historic Art Nouveau tenements survived among others tenement Scheibler, of Dawid Szmulewicz, Schychta and many others. Apart from that palace of Maksymilian Goldfeder (1889), the neo-Renaissance Palace of Julius Heinzl of the around 1882, the Palace of Julius Kindermanna of the around 1907 or a metropolitan cathedral of St Stanislaw Kostka from the end of XIX century.
Urban town hall in Lodz built in 1827 according to the project of Bonifacy Witkowski is being found in the Wolnosc Square at the north mouth of Piotrkowska Street. Is an oldest and most treasured monument of classical architecture in Lodz. The town hall was one of the first objects built in the city, has the rather small turret, on the peak which the clock and the belfry are situated for. The clock gave the manufacturer Karol Schlosser from Ozorkow in 1834. A small church turret is crowning the top of the tower so-called little bell. Today in the town hall a seat of the State Archive is. Near the town hall the neo-Renaissance The Holy Trinity Church is rising from 1827 and the monument of Tadeusz Kosciuszko from 1930.
Palaces of the family Poznan
Palaces of the family Poznan are a typical example of residential architecture, into composition which are accessing:
* Palace of Israel Poznanski from 1877 repeatedly converted in the style of the French neorenaissance and neobaroque, named “Louvre of Lodz” which at present the Museum of History of the City of Lodz is located;
* the neo-Renaissance Palace of Maurycy Poznanski from 1896 designed by Adolf Zeligson to the pattern of palace buildings in Venice, at present is functioning in it Museum of the Art;
* neo-Renaissance Palace of Karol Poznanski built in 1904 had formal character with the inner lives full of the splendour, today a music academy is located in it.
Factory-residential teams in Lodz
Factory-residential teams in Lodz being a unique today on a world scale are an excellent example of the XIX century industrial architecture. They belong to most interesting, historic industrial buildings of Lodz:
* classical factory object Kopischa Bielnik built in 1825 in the shape of the small manor house of a gentleman where at first were located – starch, bielnik, place where linen is pressed and folusz. In 1828 the building took over the Tytus Kopish creating one of larger linen units in the Kingdom, in consecutive years by the factory was built dwelling house;
* Factory of Markus Silberstein at Piotrkowska Street came into existence in 1896 according to the project of Adolf Zeligson, is being edited to the fortified building;
* a White Factory of Ludwik Geyer from 1835 is classical complex modeled on residential buildings, in which for the first time on the area of the Congress Kingdom of Poland established in 1815 at the Congress of Vienna a steam engine was applied;
* the so-called Priestly Mill i.e. the complex of textile factories of Karol Scheibler from 1855-1914, supplemented with time with palace residences. The priestly Mill, as complex written down to a list of vintage buildings and for a few years efforts are being made so that it hits to the list of the World Legacy UNESCO
Villas and palaces
Up till today in Lodz it is possible to see over 200 industrial baron’s residences. Ancient palaces are seats of the most important Lodz offices, the institution, museums; they are still enrapturing with the splendour and insides astonish them with diversity of forms. It is worthwhile going for a walk with trail “Villas and palaces”, to move into times “Of promised land” and anew to discover the hidden beauty of the city.
In the building at the square of Dabrowski Street the Theatre inaugurated his activity in 19 January 1967. Stanislaw Piotrowski was the first chief executive, and with artistic director Prof. Zygmunt Latoszewski. From the beginning of its being the Great Theatre in Lodz is an organizer and a place of the international festival – Lodz Ballet Meetings, in which the most outstanding ballet companies took the participation from entire world, and among them among others: Ballet of the 20th century of Maurice Bejarta, Nederlands Dans Theater, Sadler’s Royal Ballet Wells, Ballet Rambert, the Nacional Ballet de Cuba of Alicja Alonso, Batsheva for Danka Company, Cullberg Ballet, Elisa Monte for Danka Company, Sanki-Petersburski Theatre of the Ballet of Borys Ejfmana, Ballett of the John Neumeiera. Lodz Ballet Meetings take place every two years.
Manufacture – one of the largest commercial-service-light centres in Poland and one from biggest in Centre Europe. Located is in Lodz, between the Zachodni Street, Garden Street, Drewnowska Street and the street of Karski. Opening followed of 17 May 2006, after five years of working the project out and almost four years of renovation. The surface area of the entire centre amounts to 27 ha (including 9 ha of the surface after the modernization and 9.5 ha of the floor surface newly built). The centre came into existence on areas of the ancient factory of Israel Poznanski in Lodz, of one of the biggest Lodz manufacturers. Parcels purchased Poznanski in 1871 on the western side of new town, along the Ogrodowa Street. By the end of the 19th century almost 30 ha complex on which weaving milles, the spinning mill were situated came into existence bielnik and finish, the dyeworks, the printing house of fabrics, the unit of repair and mechanical engineerings, the ironworks, the foundry and the locomotive shed, the gasworks, an engine house, magazines, the railroad siding and the factory currency exchange, the palace of the manufacturer and residential buildings for workers. The production in the factory wasn’t on the principle of the dividing up of work, so it isn’t possible to recognize it as the manufacture.